1. What are the differences between the different categories of handler (wild, captive and ONE) and why are these separated out? The Kiwi Accredited Handler scheme (KAH) is based around three different best practice manuals/skill sets which are the Kiwi Best Practice Manual (wild), Operation Nest Egg Incubation and Chick Rearing Best Practice Protocols (ONE) and the Captive Management Plan for Kiwi (captive). The skill sets are considered different and handlers must be trained and signed off separately for each skill set they require for the work they undertake.
  2. Why does my handler report record the species of kiwi I’ve worked with? Do I need to provide a separate annual report per species? We consider all species skills transferrable to other species – we only keep track of the species you have worked with for administrative purposes, so that we can tell who has been working on what species and where the main skill sets are. When providing your annual report you do not need to separate by species. The same applies for trainers except for little spotted kiwi, which needs special consideration.
  3. Are captive and wild skills transferrable?
    Due to the differences in handling birds in the wild versus captivity, captive skills are not transferrable to the wild. In some instances (such as bird handling), wild skills can be transferrable to captive scenarios, however we would generally expect if you are working regularly with both wild and captive birds you would have undertaken training for both settings and will be able to get signed off for both. Therefore, unless you are actively working in a captive institution, we won’t reflect this skill in the database.
  4. Are creche sites wild or captive?
    Creche sites fall under the Wild Best Practice manual and is not covered by the ONE Incubation or Husbandry Manual, so are currently considered ‘wild’ settings. There is a specific set of best practice for creche settings being developed.
  5. I am a wild/captive/ONE practitioner only – why do I sometimes get emails about other skill sets updates?
    These skill sets are all recorded within one database for administrative purposes because some practitioners are signed off as handlers for more than one skill set and some skill sets overlap. We do our best to target emails to specific groups of handlers, however sometimes it makes the most sense to ensure we contact all handlers when we do updates. If you receive an update that doesn’t apply to your handling skill set, please politely let us know that you have nothing to update and this way we can ensure that we haven’t missed anyone whose records should have been updated.
  6. What can vets do without getting trained?
    If you are a qualified vet with experience in any of the following skills, you can automatically be signed off for these without requiring training:

    1. taking blood samples from legs of birds
    2. taking cloacal swabs
      In these instances, vets that regularly interact with kiwi should still be registered as a Kiwi Accredited Handler so that we have captured the full range of kiwi practitioners, but do not need to go through the same training and sign off for these skills as general handlers due to their veterinary training. It is still preferred that handling of kiwi is done by an accredited handler, or a vet is specifically trained to handle kiwi.
  7. How does the Kiwi Accredited Handler database and the New Zealand National Bird Banding Scheme certification database overlap?
    These two databases are run separately, through different teams at DOC (although there can be some staff crossover at times). The assessment requirements are managed by different groups (for the KAH database this is the Kiwi Recovery Group and for the NZNBBS certification scheme this is the Banding Office in conjunction with the Banding Advisory Committee). However, the two skillsets can be interdependent e.g. you cannot band kiwi if you are not signed off to handle them. To help us keep track and make sure all handlers/banders have all appropriate sign-offs, if you are a kiwi handler with a kiwi banding certification the KAH database will make note of your banding certification level and the banding certification database will make note of your KAH number. For kiwi handling related matters contact the team at kiwihandler@doc.govt.nz and for banding certification enquiries contact the team at bandingoffice@doc.govt.nz. NOTE: ALL kiwi banding returns and stock takes should be submitted at least annually to bandingoffice@doc.govt.nz.
  8. Accreditation for ONE competencies in the wild are unclear. How do we become accredited for egg lifts, egg candling and egg transport?
    The Best Practice Group have discussed this and agreed that accreditation for undertaking egg lifts would need a practitioner to be accredited for handling and catching, and have done the candling course. Evidence of 5 egg lifts under supervision and endorsement from trainer.   Evidence of 10 egg lifts to become a trainer.  These will be included in the updated Best Practice Manual that will be published later in 2020.
  9. What do I need to do to stay current with a particular skill?
    There are a number of competencies that need regular practice to keep current. They are: banding, wing tagging, transponder insertion, transmitter attachment and taking bloods.When a refresher is needed, you will need to have refresher training under the supervision of an accredited trainer, undertaking the competency on one bird for every 5 years elapsed, with the exception of taking bloods, where you need to do two birds for every 5 years elapsed. Other competencies do not require refreshers but if it has been a while since you last undertook the competency and feel that some guidance or supervision is required, we strongly encourage you to seek the guidance of an accredited trainer.
  10. How do I get signed off as a trainer?
    To get signed off as a trainer you require TWO existing trainers to observe you demonstrating your training skills and then endorse your handling and training skills. One trainer must observe you in person and if necessary, the second trainer may observe your skills via a video recording. Both trainers then need to send an email to kiwihandler@doc.govt.nz outlining which skills they observed and are happy to endorse you for.
  11. What if the person that trained me is no longer around?
    If there are practitioners at your institution/facility or nearby that are signed off as trainers ask them to observe your skills and provide a sign-off. If you do not know of any trainers nearby get in touch with kiwihandler@doc.govt.nz and we can discuss your options.
  12. How do I know which trainers are around to come watch and endorse me if I need someone separate to my original trainer?
    Ask your trainer if they know of other trainers nearby that could help out. If they don’t, get in touch with kiwihandler@doc.govt.nz and we can discuss your options.
  13. Where can I find the application form?
    In the first instance ask your trainer, as they are the ones that should be filling out and submitting the application form on your behalf. If you are a trainer that requires the form, it can be found online here: Application form. Please note that for some users the link only works within Chrome.
  14. DOC STAFF ONLY: How can I have visibility of handler/trainers within a District/Region?
    A list of handlers and their competencies is uploaded to docCM monthly. This can be found at DOC-5425425.