How to write your will
- Gifts in wills (bequests) are some of the most thoughtful gifts we receive. They ensure that the birds you love will continue to be protected in the future.
- The good news is writing your will can be a relatively simple process but we always recommend you seek professional advice when writing your will.
- Simple errors in wording can create confusion and delays in carrying out your wishes. It is important you include the full name of the charity – The Kiwi Trust – together with our registered charity number which is CC47976.
Types of gift
- General gifts towards the work of Kiwis for kiwi provide flexibility for us to direct funds toward our most immediate areas of need. However, we would be delighted to discuss with you the best options if you wish to leave a gift in your will towards a specific purpose.
- Gift of Natural Areas: If you wish to leave a gift of a natural area it is preferable to discuss this with Kiwis for kiwi in advance. To help the charity care for the area gifted, provision should be made under your will for a fund, payable to the Trust for the ongoing maintenance of the property.
- Kiwis for kiwi Endowment Fund: Money held in the fund is invested as capital and left to build over time. The Trust is able to use a portion of the earned interest annually to fund its work which means the impact of your gift is felt on a daily basis.
- Residue: Once you have provided for your loved ones, you may wish to leave Kiwis for kiwi the remainder (residue) or a percentage of your estate.
- Specified Sum or Assets: You may prefer to leave a specific amount of money, real estate, shares, bonds, items or a nominated gift to the charity.
Information for your solicitor
- For the convenience of your solicitor or advisor who may be helping you draw up your will, here are examples of useful and accurate wording, covering two types of legacy.
Legacy of all or part of net estate:
- ‘I give to The Kiwi Trust Incorporated, registered charity number CC47976 (hereinafter called Kiwis for kiwi) the residue (or % share of the residue) of my estate absolutely and I direct that (i) the proceeds may be used to for the general purposes of Kiwis for kiwi and (ii) a receipt signed by a person for the time being authorised by the governing body of Kiwis for kiwi shall be a good and sufficient discharge to my executors’.
Fixed Sum Legacy:
- ‘I give to The Kiwi Trust Incorporated, registered charity number CC47976 (hereinafter called Kiwis for kiwi) the sum of $______ and I direct that (i) the proceeds may be used for the general purposes of Kiwis for kiwi and (ii) a receipt signed by a person for the time being authorised by the governing body of Kiwis for kiwi shall be a good and sufficient discharge to my executors’.
- Let us know you have decided to include us in your will by emailing email@example.com. We don’t need to know the details but we’d love to be able to thank you and keep you informed of our work.
- For more information, please contact:
Kiwis for kiwi
Phone +64 09 307 4843